The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
The USCCB adopted a policy that was revised in the 2005 document entitled "Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People". The VIRTUS® program is meant to help people become aware of abuse, to learn how to recognize the signs, and realize the need to overcome the natural reluctance of most adults to report suspected abuse.
To Be Approved to Work With Children
All adults intending to work or volunteer with children are required to be trained in VIRTUS and to consent to a background check before working or volunteering with children. If you have already been fingerprinted and are currently approved to work with children in our pastoral region, fingerprinting is not required to be “redone” at this time. Please register with VIRTUS® and schedule to attend a training session:
- Register on-line with VIRTUS www.virtusonline.org (VIRTUS® Home Page)
- Choose the yellow “Registration” link in the left hand column.
- Choose “Begin Registration Process”
- Select “Cincinnati (Archdiocese of Cincinnati)” from the drop down box.
- Instructions will prompt you to set-up a user name & password. File info for future use.
- Read the Decree on Child Protection (avail on line)
- Select a currently scheduled VIRTUS® Child Awareness Sessions - any location is fine
- Participate in a VIRTUS "Protecting God's Children" training session (3 hours)
- Read the monthly training bulletins sent to your e-mail, & answer question provided *Adults who do not have e-mail have special instructions. (see pastoral staff)
- Consent to be fingerprinted if you have not already done so. Records are confidentially reviewed in Cincinnati. A “Background Check Release Form” is available at the parish office and is necessary for fingerprinting at the O.E.C., Sidney..
Safe Environment Coordinator: Deb Ranly (937)-295-2179 x 114 email@example.com FACILITATORS: Kate Boeke, Lisa Monnin, Rev. Steve Shoup
The word VIRTUS is derived from Latin It means "Valor", "Moral strength", "Excellence” and "Worth"